Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Manitou Incline


First, let me start by saying that I have quite a healthy fear of heights and have been working for years to overcome my asthma. Back in high school I could only sprint, not run long distance. In the past several years, I have started running and building up my lung capacity to the point that now I can run roughly 4 miles non-stop. For a lot of people, that is a walk in the park, however for me, that is quite a big deal. I knew that taking on the Incline would challenge me not only physically but mentally. I knew I would have to concentrate on my breathing in order to keep the wheezing at bay. I didn't really train for the Incline to be quite honest. I have been running on a regular basis a couple of times a week and figured that would be enough. Anyway...
The Incline proved to be strenuous and at times impossible. The hardest part honestly was the beginning. You really don't know what you are getting yourself into until you are literally there. My heart was pounding fiercely and I had to concentrate completely on my breathing. Thinking, "lungs, open, lungs, open", but managed to keep the panic down. Now, I will interject that I have not carried an inhaler with me for years, probably not the best plan in the world right?? I know, I know.
Once I got past the first 1/4 mile up, I fell into my groove. Mind set, legs moving, breathing rhythmic. Half way up I set goals.....pass the 2 young dudes ahead of me....DONE....pass orange shirt guy way ahead of me.....DONE....don't turn around and look down.....BUT I HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES.....ugh, the height thing. Turning around and taking pictures was BRUTAL, threw my balance off....so what would my resolution for that be?? I would stop, take out my camera, hold it behind me, and hope to God that the pictures would come out because there was no way I was turning around again!!! Thankfully, my back handed picture taking skills are quite good...
Needless to say, I made it to the top. And, yes, at the top I did turn around and take a picture...and the view was breathtaking! The walk/run down Barr trail was beautiful. And by the time I was at the bottom, I couldn't feel my fingers because of the cold, my nose was frozen and I wasn't sure it was still on my face, and....I was planning my next time I would be back, and it would be soon...
Next goal: Beat my current time of 1hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment